Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The COUNTDOWN

The weeks of August were meant to be a peaceful, slow moving time. A time of happy reflection on the summer days and anticipation for the last few wonderful activities of the season; county fairs, weekends camping, swimming and eating popsicles. We have proof that the month of August is meant for doing basically nothing in the fact that there are no national holidays this month and the happier fact that Congress takes a vacation from messing up our lives.
However, in the overworked minds of many a home schooling mother there is no respite. August is the month of final reflections on the previous school year and the hurried gathering of curriculum for the new year that will fast be upon us.
In recent days you could find me trying to re-read A Thomas Jefferson Education (a book I strongly recommend to all parents) in preparation for our first attempt to fully follow the educational philosophy espoused by the author. Trying is the operative word. With nine children in the house and a job hunting sister-in-law, I have gotten very little peace. I have decided,as I have about this time every year, that I need a vacation.
So here's to all you other mothers out there frantically gathering, scouring for books on auction sites, tidying the school room and library shelves. And to those of you who aren't sure if you have the energy and patience to get through another year, Remember, just read to them.
I had a mother who read to me
Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea.
Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth;
"Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.
I had a Mother who read me plays
Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
Which every boy has a right to know.
I had a Mother who read me tales
Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
True to his trust till his tragic death,
Faithfulness lent with his final breath.
I had a Mother who read me the things
That wholesome life to the boy heart brings-
Stories that stir with an upward touch.
Oh, that each mother of boys were such!
You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be --
I had a Mother who read to me.-Strickland Gillilan

3 comments:

Natalie said...

life is always more hectic than it should be...good luck with the upcoming school year!

Selissa said...

I love that poem. Can't wait to see you guys. We'll be there Thursday night! Yay!!

The Wes Gordon Family said...

So...psst I am STILL Not in your sidebar....

I should be offended, however it takes a Heck-uva lot more that that to offend me :D

The Gooneybirds

The Gooneybirds
With 10 of us-this is as good as it gets!